This International Award Winning Restaurant is situated on the shores of Walker Bay and is carved into the depths of a century old cave extending over the rocks to the waters edge.
It is in the heart of the best land-based whale watching area in the world and is a prime tourist attraction in one of the most beautiful Marine Reserves in the Western Cape, overlooking the only whale sanctuary on the African continent.
Bientang's Cave is also known as the best whale-watching restaurant in the world. Throughout the year we are fortunate to see dolphins, Brydes Whale , Humpbacks and the occasional orca. The Southern Right whale visits our shores every year from May until December, and here you can sit on our deck, enjoying delicious seafood and drinking the best wines that the Cape has to offer while watching whales lazing in the ocean a mere 100m away.
Built, as the name suggests, in a Cave, the restaurant is predominantly a Seafood Restaurant but also caters for all dietary requirements and offers meat, poultry and vegetarian alternatives for non-seafood eaters. Situated on the rocks of Walker Bay in Hermanus where we are privileged to host Southern Right whales on an annual basis when they migrate here to mate and calve. These creatures of the deep wallow, breach and play within meters of the restaurant, providing spectacular entertainment whilst lunching at our beautiful & unique venue. Our unique and exquisite venue offers an unusual and sensational backdrop to any function.
- Enjoy our daily specials, a la carte menu award winning wine list and cocktails daily.
- Our menu includes delights from the sea such as Seafood Platters, Seafood Curries & Potjies, our Signature dish Bientang's Bouillabaise Soup, Cognac Flambe Beef Medallions, Abalone, Crayfish, Pan Flashed Tiger Prawns, Pork Ribs and Vegetarian Dishes to suit all tastes and dietary requirements.
How Bientangs's Cave is managing our natural resources in a sustainable manner for future generations.
Bientang’s Cave is committed to sustainable Tourism and Conservation
We are most fortunate to be situated at the edge of the Walker Bay whale sanctuary, where the Southern Right Whales return every year from May to December to mate and calve. To ensure the survival and annual return of these majestic creatures, it is for this reason that we are in the process of establishing Bientang’s Whale Watch Centre and Research Facility.
- We do daily clean ups removing glass and litter from the rocks and vegetation
- We participate in under water sea debris clean ups
- We endeavour to reduce our carbon footprint by sourcing local produce
- We recycle all our glass, tins and paper
- Going green with a Solar Geyser, Wind Turbines, Energy Saving Light Bulbs and Gas
SASSI - The South African Sustainable Seafood Initiative
It is now widely accepted that commercial fisheries are in a state of decline worldwide. 80% of the world fish stocks are over exploited or exploited to their maximum.
Given the current threats facing our marine ecosystems, we believe that it is necessary to act now in order to ensure the long-term health of both our seafood industry and the marine resources upon which we all rely. Therefore we ensure that we serve the most sustainable species from the healthiest and most well managed populations. We can all play our part and get involved in creating a sustainable seafood industry by opting for fish not on the endangered list.